They may not seem like much but lentils are packed full of nutrients making them one of Health.com’s World’s Healthiest Food pick. Not only are they a good source of protein and fiber but they are high in iron as well. What’s the best part about this superfood? They are cheap! A pound of lentils, which the following recipe calls for, is around 89¢. That’s cheaper than anything on that value menu. Enjoy!
- 1 lb lentils -rinsed and drained (I like brown lentils)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots -peeled & chopped
- 3 celery stalks -chopped
- 1 small onion -chopped
- 3 garlic cloves -sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional – white vinegar and/or Parmesan cheese
- In a large sauce pan heat olive oil. Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook until onions are slightly translucent. Add lentils and carrots and stir to coat. Carefully pour in stock and water and bring to boil. Add herbs and spices, set temperature to low, cover and simmer for at least an hour. (For a thicker soup cook longer.) Add salt and pepper to taste. Optional: When ready, serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and/or a tsp of white vinegar. Yum!